Monday, October 19, 2009

Kozy Shack? More like Kozy Crap!

Hi friends! So, VeganMoFo obviously hasn't worked out for me this year. Between my best friend having some major complications giving birth, presenting at a state-wide conference, and everyone at work besides me being out sick, life has been extra crazy! Excuses, excuses!

I'm sure you're wondering - what's this Kozy Crap all about? Well, I did a major shopping trip at Grocery Outlet the other day, and one of the amazing deals I scored was the last 4 pack of Kozy Shack vanilla soy pudding cups for $.99. I rarely buy stuff like this (I'm way too much of a cheapskate for most prepackaged foods), but I have had the Zensoy stuff before and really liked it. I opened up a pudding cup for a snack last night, and was shocked when I stuck my spoon in it! It was not at all creamy, and pretty firm, yet gelatinous. I thought, "hmmm, maybe it just needs a stir", but after stirring it had a clumpy consistency. I thought, "hmmm, well maybe the texture is off but it will still taste good!" (I'm such an optimist!). Nope. Blech. "Hmmm, maybe it's past the expiration date?" Nope! It's good for another month! I threw it away. It was THAT bad. The only vegan food I remember ever throwing away was the old Galaxy soy cheese (though the rice singles that they have now are pretty tasty).

So, beware! Vegan public service announcement, over and out. xoxo Chelsea

5 comments:

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

This was pretty hilarious! Thanks for the info.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

How sad! I really like their chocolate pudding, but I admit it's on the firm side & I dig it!

Sarah said...

they're not quite that bad, but they definitely are bad.

Chelsea said...

Maybe it was bad even though the expiration date was ok? It was just so weird and not pudding-y, like sortof grainy or something.

Heather Z said...

Did it contain a lot of corn starch, corn flour or potato starch? That sounds really weird for almost old pudding. Years ago I was addicted to Kozy Shacks pre-packed flan. Seriously addicted. Since I've been vegan I haven't had flan. I wish I could find a vegan place that makes it. I have no interest in cooking it since it has that special carmel topping that I don't want to deal with.